Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kitchen Knives

When it comes to this kitchen gadget, there are several types if knives that are a must. If you have only one or two, you won't be doing a lot of chopping or cutting.
I have several "paring knives" in my kitchen. This is a knife with a blade that is about 2½ - 3½ inches long. A knife this size is easy to handle especially when doing small jobs. I use this type of knife for hulling strawberries, cutting sandwiches, and other things that only take a few seconds to cut. I have about 4 of this type.

3.25" White Handle Paring Knife. Sold Individually


Zwilling J.A. Henckels 15-in. Miyabi 5000S Deba Chopping Knife

Zwilling J.A. Henckels 15-in. Miyabi 5000S Deba Chopping KnifeThis knife is one I use for chopping onions and peppers. One of the reasons I will use this knife as apposed to an electric processor is that I am able to get the size chunks of food that I desire and they are much more uniform. When using this knife the tip or front part of the blade should never leave the cutting surface. Simply rock the knife up and down on the tip while lifting the back part ( the part closer to the handle) The proper use of this knife does take some practice. I suggest that you watch some chefs using this knife before you try to use it yourself.
I am sure that not many of you bake your own bread your self, but in case you do and do not have an
Electric Carving Knife
or only need a bread knife once in a blue moon this is the one to have. This knife makes smooth cuts and will not squash the bread while you slice.

Knife Bread 10.25" Fibrox. Sold Individually

A good general purpose knife should be any where from 5-8 inches long.

Tyler Florence from Outset 8-in. Titanium Cutlery Chef's Knife with Magnetic Block


Here are a few tips on keeping your knives sharp
1. Don't place your knives in a dishwasher. the heat will dull the edge.
2. Use a wooden block or magnetic knife strip to store your knives.
3. If you are using a wooden block to store your knife, store it blade up so that the weight isn't forcing the edge into the wood.
4. Only use wood, bamboo or polyethylene cutting boards as they create less friction for the blade's edge than plastic or ceramic cutting boards.
5. Wipe the knife clean when finished, especially if cutting through acidic fruit like tomatoes or citrus.
6. Lightly touch up any burrs that may form on the edge with a couple of light passes across a sharpening stone.


Here is a list of other knives that you might be interested in if you do a specific type of cooking

Scanpan 8-in. Classic Knives Carving Knife


8.25" Steak Knife with Wood Handle


Kershaw Fillet Knives, 5.5 Inch To 9 Inch


9 Inch Meat Cleaver


Cutlery Set in Wood Block - 16pc


13-in. Magnetic Bar Knife Storage


Knife Sharpener


Electric Knife Sharpener


Bamboo Cutting Board


Cheese Knife Set 4 piece


Kitchen Shears

No comments: